Saturday, June 13, 2009

Subchorionic Bleed....

After a very long week, we were both happy it was Friday & had settled in for the night, when I went to use the restroom and noticed some light pink spotting, which quickly turned bright red. Although it was not very heavy & I did not have any cramping we decided to err on the side of caution and go to the ER. At the ER, they took blood and did an ultrasound which showed a Subchorionic Bleed of 5mm. The ER doc said it is a relatively common condition wherein the placenta pulls away from the uterine wall a little bit as it is growing and causes the bleed. He likened the baby to a cancer, where the baby is attaching like a tumor and as the placenta grows it can kind of tear. He said everything looks great and it should resolve although I may continue to have some bleeding. No heavy lifting, lots of rest, and f/u w/ Ob in 2 days.

I got to see the baby on ultrasound (Dan could not go in with me) , and it was absolutely amazing!! Lima is now 2.3 CM long, the heartbeat was 200 BPM, and the baby measured at 9 weeks 2 days. The ultrasound tech said the heartbeat was great - is usually between 120-200 BPM, so Lima is right up there at the top. She checked it twice just to be sure and both times it was 200 BPM. Considering that when we last saw Lima on u/s was about 3 wks ago & he/she was .61MM at the time, the growth rate is amazing. You can also now clearly make out what parts are what...head, arms, legs. I got to see Lima's little fingers moving & waving in the air & the tiny little feet buds where you can start to see the toes separating. Absolutely amazing, and I wish Dan had been able to go in with me to see it. When they wheeled me back from ultrasound Dan immediately knew Lima was ok by the huge smile on my face though.

Speaking of high heartrates, there is a wives tale that if the baby's heartbeat is over 140 it is more likely to be a girl..... hmmm.....

Anyway, of course I came home and researched subchorionic bleeding this morning on the internet, and it does seem to have a high success rate but can potentially cause problems with placental abruptions, but it appears that is more likely to happen with larger clots. We are still praying, but seeing Lima & knowing he/she is okay has given me a great deal of relief at this point. I have never made it this far as far as seeing the baby alive and kicking at this point in the pregnancy before. We continue to pray & keep our fingers crossed. I cannot wait for the first trimester to be over! This has been very stressful for us.

No comments:

Post a Comment